Thursday, March 29, 2007

Networking

I've been at a conference in Ottawa all week. Its part of my job and I enjoy learning new things about our industry or new ways to do our work. What I don't enjoy is all the BS small talk people want to engage in. I've been doing this long enough to know that most of what people say is meaningless and could be replaced with random sounds without losing anything. I kinda of tune people out and just fill in the blanks with "blah...blah...blah" - like Charlie Brown's teacher!

The good news is that I have met a few cyclists in our industry and a few other people who at least participate in some sport. Its nice to find yourself talking to them at a cocktail party and be able to have a conversation you both actually care about. I met a couple new people who were quite nice as well. One who just got into road biking and started doing duathalons and another who plays hockey quite seriously. You can spot potential new buddies of this sort across a room at a business conference by their unusually good posture and laid back smiles. They look healthier than their colleagues and way less stressed out. They also usually have a bemused expression on their faces - probably because they are laughing inside at the circus going on around them.

It was great to get a break from the usual small talk and meet these guys. Two more people have now at least heard of long distance biking and recumbents.

Viva la revolution!

No comments: