Friday, June 27, 2008

Ex-Officio Boxer Briefs


I normally wouldn't post about my underwear on this blog, but I've come across some really nice cyclist friendly boxers that I figured some folks might appreciate a head's up on. For the most part I don't wear padded bike shorts any longer. On my DF bikes I use comfortable saddles and don't feel the need to pad my butt. This is nice as I can wear street clothes and not feel like I have a diaper on. Of course this means that what you wear next to your skin becomes really important down there. I own several different brands of synthetic boxers and for general use they all perform about the same. For cycling, however, these Ex-Officio Boxer Briefs really stand out because there are no seams in the crotch/saddle contact zone. No seams mean less chance of irritation and that puts a smile on your face if you are a cyclist...=-)

I've owned 3 pairs of these boxers for the past 3 years+ and they have held up well from regular use. I expect I'll still be using them in 3 more years. Extended cycle touring might be a worst case scenario for them so if you are going on a year+ tour you might get less lifespan from them. They don't hold odors much - which doesn't mean they won't get stinky, but they'll clean up nicely in the sink at your motel or if you wash them in a stream at camp. They are very lightweight, wick moisture well and will dry uberfast after washing. If you wanted to go super light on tour you could easily just take one pair and wash them every evening.

They are not cheap [$25USD], but for the quality and durability I've experienced the price is not out of line.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I posted about some similar undies earlier in the year (Bent Scivvies at RecumBum.com), which were the Target store-brand, and cost considerably less. They're also seamless with wicking fabric -- a good deal for the frugal.

Vik said...

Ahhh...good catch. I don't have a Target nearby here in Canada, but Wal-Mart may have something similar? Anyone in Canada shop at Wal-Mart and seen such a thing?

bmike said...

I've been wearing the ExOfficio's for awhile now. Did my first century in them last week... I had some saddle interference that made the end of the ride fairly painful... but overall I like them. I have mixed feelings about the seams on the front that mark the slot for easy urination - this can rub the wrong way depending on your shorts.

Anonymous said...

MEC's merino briefs are the best! No chafing, wearable as swimwear (in black), and as little smell as humanly possible, as it were.

nollij said...

I'm interested to try these Ex-officio Boxers now. Currently the Devold Boxer Briefs are my hands down favorite everyday AND bicycling underpants. I did a little write up on my blog at: http://nollij.blogspot.com/2008/05/greatest-underwear-ever.html

Anonymous said...

very stylish....and very dashing...briefs..