Read my initial impressions here.
I bought this backpack at Rarified back at the start of December 2007. I love Ortlieb products and although I probably didn't need a new backpack the shinny black waterproof goodness of this bag called to me...=-) 5 months later it has become my favourite backpack supplanting my old favourite a Camelback Transalp. Part of the reason the Velocity has become my go to backpack is that it is a very useful/comfortable design. I can carry several days or groceries in it by leaving the top open and over stuffing it. I can carry a 17" wide screen laptop in it with total confidence that rain or snow will not reach my computer. It is very durable so I don't baby it. It gets plunked down on a slushy sidewalk while I root through it for something I need. The other part of the equation is the Velocity looks a whole lot less grubby than my 6 year old heavily battle worn Transalp. I'm not trying to look like Derrick Zoolander everywhere I go, but us single cyclists have to at least pay a little attention to our appearance...=-)
- 100% waterproof
- extremely durable fabric
- ergonomic shoulder straps and waist belt carry moderate loads well
- Comfortable foam padding on back - also allows for ventilation
- Derrick Zoolander would approve the aesthetic even if he couldn't spell aesthetic!
- removable organizer pocket good for small items
- useful size without being too large
- can carry a 17" wide screen laptop
Although I do love Ortlieb products this bag is not perfect.
- It lacks a tab on the back to mount a red blinkie.
- It has virtually zero reflective material on it. Given it is stealth black to begin with visibility at night is an issue.
- Like all Ortlieb products it is essentially a big waterproof bag. It does have a small removable interior organizer for small items - which I use a lot, but that only provides a limit amount of potential organization.