Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Inuvik Tour Update


My initial plan for this summer's arctic bike tour was to fly to Inuvik and ride back to Calgary. Admittedly there is something really clean and simple about riding your bike thousands of KMs back to your own door. However, some really good friends of mine from LA will be performing at an outdoor music festival in British Columbia in early August and I'd hate to miss an opportunity to hear them play music so close to home. So I've decdied to limit my bike tour to the month of July and revise my route to make it a bit shorter.

I'll be starting in Whitehorse, Yukon at my friend Dustin's condo. As a cycling nut himself he'll be joining me on the ride up to Inuvik. It will be great to hang out with him and have some company on my first encounter with the Dempster Highway. Due to time constraints he'll hitchhike back to Whitehorse from Inuvik and I'll ride back alone. Although I'll be riding the same route twice it will all be in the far north - a place that has intrigued me for a long time and will be quite a change from the Southern Canadian Rockies where I usually ride.

No comments: