Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Fujin Rear Blinkie Mount

The Fujin is a beautiful bike, but the very non-standard shape of the frame means that most of the typical bike lights just don't fit.

I solicited ideas from the Challenge Bent Group and received some great tips. However, I really wanted a simple elegant solution that did not require power tools. I'm dangerous with power tools!

So I looked at my favourite light - the Planet Bike Superflash and used my noodle to figure out a way to mount it on the Fujin.

I have to say I am impressed with the result. I used only a portion of the original mounting bracket and bolted it through one of the unused disc tabs. The cool thing is it looks slick and the way it is mounted the light can't rotate downwards. Because the light is attached via the stock mount I can remove it in a sec and only leave behind a very tiny plastic bracket.

The white body of the Superflash even goes nicely with the Fujin's paint and the light is held at a good angle for viewing from cars.

1 comment:

Jerome said...

Nice work. I'm actually going to pick up a few of those lights @ MEC this weekend. From what I've been hearing, they're great.