Saturday, January 27, 2007
No rando news at the moment, but I built up a new bike. I had a long and witty post about why this bike and how I managed to rationalize yet ANOTHER pedal powered contraption into my life, but Firefox crashed and all my hard work was for naught.
Here are the build details:
Thorn Sherpa 535L in Stealth Black
- 9 spd dura ace barcons
- LX front & rear der
- front wheel 32H LX hub w/ mavic X221 rim
- back wheel 32H LX hub w/ mavic X618 rim
- schwalbe marathon XR 26 x 1.75 tires
- deore cranks (42-32-22) soon to be (42-36-22)
- Time ATAC control-Z pedals
- 11-32 XT cassette
- SRAM PC991 chain
- deore V-brakes w/ koolstop salmon pads
- dia compe 287V brake levers
- Salsa 42cm short 'n shallow bars
- Salsa 110m moto ace stem 115 deg (not installed yet)
- Salsa Shaft seat post
- Selle Anatomica Titanico saddle
- Old Man Mountain cold springs front rack
- Tubus cargo rear rack
The bike is pretty rugged. Compared to my Surly LHT it is definitely more of a mountain bike and I built it with a long tour through South America and points beyond in mind. Off paved roads and away from North America 26" wheels make more sense than 700c.
When I get the stem in I'll finalize the bar position and cut the steerer accordingly.
Patagonia here I come...=-)